I follow a lot of blogs, more than I have time to read. That’s okay though because when I do sit down to read them, they inspire me and surround me with positive vibes. I would estimate that 90% are related to the world of education and many of them are fellow slicers just like you.
Just recently I did, however, stumble upon a blog called Modern Mrs. Darcy and while she’s not an educator, she is a book lover and I find parts of her blog inspirational. At the end of January she encouraged her readers to think about what is saving your life right now. Often times it is so, so easy to articulate what is killing us right now when someone inquires how we are. But what if we stopped; we stopped right now and thought about what is giving us life? What is saving us right now?
The problem is that many times the things that are saving our life right now are the small things, the simple things, the silly things. In fact, they may feel so silly because they seem so small. It doesn’t matter, acknowledge them anyway. Get your journal out and write them down. If we don’t take the time to write them down, undoubtably our mind drifts. It drifts to worry, hurry, anger, or feelings of being overwhelmed.
So, I broke out my journal and over the course of a week I looked for what is giving me life. And while I won’t share all of them right here, I will share (in no particular order) several of my sanity savers – no matter how small or silly they may seem to you or to me.
- watching the fur kids frolic in the morning
- hearing the wind chime outside in the early morning breeze
- the magic of tidying up my house
- my IG account and feed
- watching The Heart of a Champion early Sunday mornings
- Matt making dinner effortlessly again and again
- journals and reflection time
- silly Snapchatting with Maddie, family, and friends
- enjoying a Wendy’s chocolate frosty
- watching This Is Us on Tuesday evenings
- cozy Cabin socks on a chilly day
- Papermate Flair felt tip markers
- workout buddies
- perennials starting to bloom
- scented candles and essential oils
- feeling the warmth of the sun shining through the foyer window
There you have it. My sanity savers. Just a sprinkling of the magic that is saving my life right now. Truthfully, though, the real magic is in noticing of these small, simple, or silly gifts day in and day out. For the more I notice them, the more I realize all that is good, right here, right now.
Looking for some writing ideas for the SOLSC? Click here.
Slice of Life
Join in and share a slice of your life!